Frequently Asked Questions
Editing Scanned Data
Edit Mode allows text to be edited or inserted using either the Character Bar or the Opticard.
Quicktionary, Reading Pen applications: Press ENT from the Input Screen ("Scan in ..."). to activate Edit Mode. The highlighted field will be replaced by regular text, with a blinking cursor at the beginning of the field. To return to regular scanning mode press ESC until the blinking cursor is replaced by a highlighted field.
Notes, Scan and Store applications: When scanning, you are always in edit mode (blinking cursor appears after the scanned text and can be moved using the direction keys.
Address Book, Internet Links and Tables applications: Press ENT on the field or cell you wish to edit. The highlighted field will be replaced by regular text, with a blinking cursor at the beginning of the field. To return to regular scanning mode press ESC until the blinking cursor is replaced by a highlighted field.
The Character Bar is used to manually insert or edit text. The Character Bar is only available when the Pen is in Edit Mode. Press ENT to activate Edit Mode. On some Pens you may need to long-press or double click ENT to access the character bar.
Use the direction keys to scroll to the place you wish to insert text and press ENT to access the Character Bar. Press ESC to exit the Character Bar.
Using the Character Bar
The Character Bar works in two modes: Insert Mode and Overwrite Mode which are determined by the setting in the application's Edit Menu. The default mode is Insert Mode.
- In Insert Mode characters are inserted at the site of the cursor.
- In Overwrite Mode each character that is inserted replaces the highlighted character.
Use the right and left direction keys to scroll to the character you wish to insert and press ENT. Do the same thing for each character you wish to insert. When you have finished, press ESC to return to the previous screen.
Character Bar Options
The default Character Bar contains the twenty six lower-case ABC characters as well as the option to access numbers, punctuation characters, upper-case and accented characters and symbols.
Insert Upper-Case Characters: Insert upper case (capital) letters by scrolling to the lower-case character and pressing the up key to reveal the upper and lower case options for the character. Scroll to the character you wish to insert and press ENT.
Insert Accented Characters or Symbols: Insert accented characters or symbols created using alphabet characters, such as or by scrolling to the lower-case character and pressing the down key to reveal the additional characters available. Scroll to the character you wish to insert and press ENT.
Insert Numbers: Scroll to the numbers symbol and press ENT to reveal the numeric Character Bar.
Insert Punctuation Symbols: Scroll to the "?!" symbol and press ENT to reveal the punctuation Character Bar.
Alphabet: Scroll to the "AB" symbol and press ENT to return to the default alphabetic Character Bar.
Delete: Scroll to the "X" option to delete the highlighted character. If you enter the Character Bar from a field that has reached its maximum number of characters, the cursor immediately jumps to the delete symbol and you will be unable to insert any characters until you delete a character from the field.
Spacebar: Scroll to the "_" option and press ENT to insert a space between characters.
Multiple Characters Mode: The diagonal thumb-tack symbol indicates that you can enter as many characters as you wish into the text field. Scroll to the character you wish to add and press ENT. Keep adding characters in this way. To exit the Character Bar press ESC. Scroll to this symbol and press ENT to change to Single Characters Mode.
Single Character Mode: The vertical thumb-tack symbol indicates that you can insert one character before the Character Bar exits. Scroll to this symbol and press ENT to change to Multiple Characters Mode.
The Opticard is a scanning keyboard found on the back of the Pen case. Use the Opticard to edit scanned text, or to insert text that cannot be scanned due to scanning limitations. To use the Opticard:
- On the Pen, press ENT to activate Edit Mode. The highlighted text or field will be replaced by regular text, with a blinking cursor at the beginning of the field.
- Hold the Pen case horizontally, with the Opticard facing up and the Opticard title on the right.
- Scan the Opticard key in the bottom left corner of the Opticard, from left to right or from right to left, to activate Opticard Mode. When Opticard Mode is activated, the light in the tip of the Pen blinks rapidly.
- Slowly scan the character key, from right to left or from left to right, or touch the key gently with the tip of your Pen. The letter appears in the Pen display.
- When you are finished, scan the Opticard key again to return to normal scanning mode.
Use the following key combinations to enter the required characters:
- Lower-Case Characters: Scan the character key.
- Upper-Case Characters: Scan the Shift key and then scan the character key.
- Caps Lock: To activate/deactivate Caps Lock, scan Shift twice. Activating Caps Lock enables you to enter letters in upper case only.
- Punctuation Symbols: Scan the Ctrl key and then scan the symbol.
- Accented characters: Scan the Ctrl key, scan the accent, and then scan the character corresponding to the accent.
- Accented characters in upper-case: Scan the Ctrl key followed by the Shift key, scan the accent, and then scan the character corresponding to the accent.
- Space: Scan the spc key.
- Delete: Scan the Shift key and then scan the del key.
The Virtual Keyboard is an on-screen keyboard which you can use to insert new text or edit scanned text with the Pen stylus. The Virtual Keyboard is accessible from the Notes, Quicktionary and ReadingPen applications by selecting Edit from the application toolbar.